3.09.2007

a momentous two days


I've found an apartment!! It's in Noe Valley, which everyone tells me is the warmest (and sunniest) micro-climate in the city . . . and it's gorgeous. I'll have two roommates, but my own bathroom! Jonathan (my first new roommate) and I met for dinner at a sushi restaurant of his choice . . . it was out in Berkeley and although it was the same concept as conveyer belt sushi, the little plates came around a moat on boats. Seemed like we might make good roommates based on his choice of restaurant alone! And the place is amazing - I can't quite believe it's real. We have a huge kitchen, a dining room, a living room with a working fireplace, laundry, a garage for my car, and a ROOFDECK with panoramic views of the city.

My bedroom will be so huge, I think I'll have a fold-out couch along with a bed, and I've bought a 26 inch tv to keep in there. (visitors are WELCOME!) Amazingly, the cost of both a bedroom tv and another plasma for the living room (I do love tv) were CHEAPER than the tv I bought a year ago! I'm excited about my whole set-up - it will practically be studio living when I feel like it and an entire apartment with roommates for when I'm feeling social. Plus, it's actually CHEAPER than living alone. I really feel lucky. I keep pinching myself and touching the keys to make sure they are real!

The weather has also been making me feel like things are going a little too well to believe - beautiful blue skies, warm sun and just enough breeze to make a sweater comfortable. We ate in-n-out burgers for lunch (delicious) sitting outside on a picnic table in the sun.

The Sutcliffes (Dean, Stacy, Meghan and Amy, + the fiances, Jamie and Chewy) have continued to be wonderful to us - we all enjoyed delicious chinese food tonight and had a great time talking about all the tv shows and movies we like. Just like Josephine and I discovered, it's uncanny how many traits really do run in families. Dent genes (those from Gram Tink and her four sisters) are strong.

Dean told an interesting story today - I may get some of the details wrong but it's so fascinating I hope you'll like it too.

During the Kennedy administration, supposedly a room full of Generals were studying some aerial shots of Cuba trying to determine whether there was any Russian military presence on the island. Pierre Salinger, the press secretary (and Frenchman) wandered through the room, glanced at the photos and said casually, "When did the Russians get to Cuba?"

All of the generals and intelligence officers did an about take and dragged him back to explain just what he meant by that. He pointed out that Cuban soldiers trained by playing baseball, and Russian soldiers preferred soccer. Since there were now soccer fields showing up in aerial photos of Cuba . . . well, the rest is the Cuban Missile Crisis.
Neat, huh?

Tomorrow the movers come - between 9 and 11, and the tv is delivered between 9:30 and 11:30. It's frightening how easily (and quickly) it all came together. At this rate, I think I'll be pretty settled by work on Monday! Amazing. It will be sad when my mom leaves on Saturday though. If anyone is out there reading this, you can expect phone calls Saturday afternoon.

Tomorrow will be a busy day, so I ought to go off to bed . . . but, last but not least, HAPPY BIRTHDAY DADDY!!!

No comments: